My photo
I'm a 21-year-old journalism student. I spent last semester living in Florence, Italy. These are my adventures.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012

Happy new year! (a couple of days late)

I've never fully understood the festivities. It's just another day. We don't celebrate when November turns into December? Why does one larger increment matter so much? As for New Year's resolutions, I try not to wait for a certain date to set goals for myself. When I want to change or improve something, I start then.

Suffice to say, it's always been a pretty low key event for me.

This year was no different. I got home from good ol' Subway around 11 p.m., played cards with some of my favorite people and in lieu of any noisemakers or party poppers, used a duck caller at midnight. The mystery of why we own this may have been the greatest one of the year.

The only point I see in it is a clear roadmark for reflection.  And 2011 was certainly an noteable year. Although it had a rocky start, the majority of the year made up for the beginning in strides. By the end I can say it was one of the best I've had in a while. I comfortably and naturally call Kent home — something I didn't see coming, but am very happy nonetheless. I made countless new friends and grew closer to many I already had. I found my stride on the Stater.

What Sunday truly marked was the one week countdown. (Now four days!) It's becoming less and less real. I started packing yesterday — or really unpacking from school. I've been so busy I haven't even done that yet. I have my last shift at Subway tonight. Then tomorrow and Friday are dedicated to packing, organizing and lunch at Angel's Thai Cafe. Yes, that is equally important.

Although I'm certain that next New Year's Eve will be just as anticlimactic as every other one, I'll be looking back at 2012 as hands-down the best year of my life. The last eight months will have a lot to live up to.


In other news, the Grand Haven Tribune is publishing my blog. Check it out on their opinion page!

Since this blog is looking grey without too many exciting pictures yet, I leave you with this photo I came across while transferring slides. My mother and her friend Barb, who backpacked through Europe with her in 1982, are "somewhere in France," as the slide is helpfully labeled. Please ignore the mysterious blue line that has been showing up in about 40 percent of the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment